By Pam Robinson
The Mount Vernon Board of Public Works and Safety carried on while Mayor John Tucker stepped away for vacation. Board members Steve Fuelling and Bill Curtis approved city street closures for River Days, the second weekend in September.
Beginning Thursday morning, September 6, Water Street from College to Locust will be barricaded. Additional streets will also be barricaded for the Pet Parade on Saturday morning at 10 a.m.—starting from Dr. Sarah Appel’s office on 3rd heading to College and ending at the riverfront stage. Likewise, more streets will be blocked for the Festival Parade, starting at Mount Vernon High School, 5 p.m. and heading downtown. On Sunday only, the court house square will be blocked for the car show.
River Days chairwoman Becky Higgins also requested that Fire Chief Wes Dixon make sure the Homeland Security permit was in order and that Street Commissioner Roy Maynard spray for mosquitoes in the festival area a couple of days prior to the event.
In other business:
• The board approved the 50-50 split of security rates for police officers working during River Days between the City of Mount Vernon and the River Days Committee.
• Fire Chief Wes Dixon thanked everyone for supporting his department’s collection efforts for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. He and his firefighters collected $1,384, a 24 percent increase over the previous year.
• Wastewater Superintendent Rodney Givens reported that his department had been certified again to run lab tests.
• Street Commissioner Roy Maynard reported that his department has been spraying nightly for mosquitoes.
The Mount Vernon Board of Public Works and Safety will meet again Thursday, September 6, 4 p.m. at the City Hall Annex.
By Pam Robinson
- Debbie Koester Reed on Sixth River Days hits a home run
- dee on Hunter Education class announced
- jewels on A visit to the other New Harmony, Utah
- Alicer and Charles Christmas on J. Sue Wassmer
- Mark Lacey on Chief Deputy Buchanan retires from Posey Sheriff’s Department
- November 2013 (21)
- October 2013 (23)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (10)
- July 2013 (29)
- June 2013 (59)
- May 2013 (60)
- April 2013 (229)
- March 2013 (158)
- February 2013 (193)
- January 2013 (192)
- December 2012 (69)
- November 2012 (143)
- October 2012 (158)
- September 2012 (152)
- August 2012 (151)
- July 2012 (191)
- June 2012 (129)
- May 2012 (71)
Popular TopicsAlexandrian Public Library American Legion APL BBQ CDC Community Center Crafts Club Deaconess Hospital Evansville Gibson Southern Harmonie State Park Historic New Harmony Indiana INDOT Kiwanis Lady Vikings Lady Wildcats Main Street Maple Hill Cemetery Mater Dei Matthew Catholic Church Mount Vernon MSD MVHS New Harmony New York North Elementary North Posey Posey Posey County Posey County News Poseyville Purdue Extension Red Cross Reunion Southern Indiana Tell City United Methodist Church United Way University USI Viking Vikings Wadesville WMI