By Valerie Werkmeister
North Posey School Board members received good news during their monthly meeting last Monday, July 8. The corporation has received a $38,160 juvenile accountability grant that will help fund a social worker position. Without the grant, Superintendent Dr. Todd Camp says the corporation may not have been able to retain the position.
Camp requested approval of a revised reduction in force/recall (RIF) policy to align with a new state law that states school corporations may not use years of service and experience as a reason for a RIF. The reason must be based on the individual teacher’s evaluation and licensure. The board approved his request.
The non-resident transfer policy was also revised to be in accordance with new state legislation. Indiana Code 20-26-11-32 states schools must set capacities by grade level and post on the school’s website. Schools have the option to approve or not approve transfer requests. Camp stated North Posey has always operated on the premise they would accept transfers from outside the district.
Action on a new athletic eligibility policy was tabled for further review. The policy deals with allowing home school student participation in athletics in accordance with a recent IHSAA ruling.
The board approved a hold harmless resolution that states: the corporation will pay, indemnify and save harmless any administrative employee of MSD of North Posey County for the amount of any penalty assessed against such employee as a result of the failure of the School Corporation to comply with the performance standards or requirements of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and/or the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.
Camp gave a brief update on the construction projects currently in progress. He stated the rain has delayed some of the work which may cause them not to be completed by the start of school. A large portion of the work will be done and weather permitting, will hopefully not take long to finish. The projects include a new bus barn and central office addition and a new roof at the high school.
Camp advised board members that budget will be advertised in August and a special budget hearing of August 26, has been set. The new budget will be adopted at their September 9, meeting.
In other business, the board approved the following:
• A one year contract renewal with Komputrol Software Systems for $7,765. The software is used at the central office for budgets and payroll.
• Eric Long’s request to declare various non-functioning computer equipment as surplus.
• Junior high principal Steve Kavanaugh’s request to use $1,439 in student activity funds to purchase a Promethean Activ Board for the art room.
• Brian Wilson’s request to transfer his son to South Terrace Elementary where he will be a teacher beginning this fall.
• A resignation request by Leah Stormant as the high school physical education and health teacher and track and volleyball coach.
• A resignation request by Tom Carl as the assistant baseball coach. He will remain a volunteer coach.
• A request by high school principal Dr. Scott Strieter to hire Kelly Trafton as the English teacher and Sarah Meyer and Elizabeth Hall as special education teachers.
• A request to transfer Jeanella Shelby from North Elementary to the jr/sr. high school as technology coordinator. Jenny Wiggins will fill Shelby’s position.
• A request by Brandon Barrett to allow Tom Brown to serve as a volunteer assistant boys’ tennis coach.
• Theresa Welch as the new special education instructional assistant at the junior high.
• Jody Cumbee as the new eighth grade football coach.
The next meeting will be August 12, at 6:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium.
By Valerie Werkmeister
- Debbie Koester Reed on Sixth River Days hits a home run
- dee on Hunter Education class announced
- jewels on A visit to the other New Harmony, Utah
- Alicer and Charles Christmas on J. Sue Wassmer
- Mark Lacey on Chief Deputy Buchanan retires from Posey Sheriff’s Department
- November 2013 (21)
- October 2013 (23)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (10)
- July 2013 (29)
- June 2013 (59)
- May 2013 (60)
- April 2013 (229)
- March 2013 (158)
- February 2013 (193)
- January 2013 (192)
- December 2012 (69)
- November 2012 (143)
- October 2012 (158)
- September 2012 (152)
- August 2012 (151)
- July 2012 (191)
- June 2012 (129)
- May 2012 (71)
Popular TopicsAlexandrian Public Library American Legion APL BBQ CDC Community Center Crafts Club Deaconess Hospital Evansville Gibson Southern Harmonie State Park Historic New Harmony Indiana INDOT Kiwanis Lady Vikings Lady Wildcats Main Street Maple Hill Cemetery Mater Dei Matthew Catholic Church Mount Vernon MSD MVHS New Harmony New York North Elementary North Posey Posey Posey County Posey County News Poseyville Purdue Extension Red Cross Reunion Southern Indiana Tell City United Methodist Church United Way University USI Viking Vikings Wadesville WMI